sync method

Questions about Cobian Reflector
sweetrobot

sync method

Post by sweetrobot »

hi, which method for backups should i use to ensure existing unmodified files in the destination are not re-copied, and that ones deleted from the source, are also deleted from the destination? just to limit i/o, and maintain sync. hope this make sense.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: sync method

Post by cobian »

Incremental/mirror (not a real backup)
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
sweetrobot

Post by sweetrobot »

ok, thank you.

use case is for a set of rotating drives which are intended to mirror a given state/date.
MarcusAurelius

Post by MarcusAurelius »

The method is not yet quiet idiot prove to me. I understand that you do not support mirroring as a backup method. Don't worry, I know. I only use it to make a mirror on a Synology NAS for external use by mobile or so ... Other server backups are made beside.
But what happens with the mirror backup job references while running this daily ? Should these mirror jobs be removed of just leave them ? (there is a warning when you do so!?) You suggest to use incremental/mirror instead of another type of backup. Meaning there are no other full backups, let's say, once in a week to overwrite everything ? Till now I used differential/mirroring and it was very confusing to me handling the jobs or the setup.
Can you explain it a little bit more ?
By the way, I love your program, the best a man can get ! :-D
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I would prefer making a full backup once a week than using a mirror, that's right,
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
sweetrobot

Post by sweetrobot »

@cobian,

i noticed that once i switched to incremental, it rewrote all the files - even ones which were unmodified. is there a setting/ flag i can use to ensure it only updates without re-doing the entire file set every time?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, just uncheck that setting in the options-Engine. You don't need to switch the backup type. The program is smart enough to do it itself.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
sweetrobot

Post by sweetrobot »

if you could please confirm the current settings are correct:

thanks for your help. trying to ensure mirroring working correctly, without uploading all every time.
Last edited by sweetrobot on 24 Jul 2024, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
MarcusAurelius

Post by MarcusAurelius »

I have a daily incremental mirror task with the options (full backup on Sunday, every 7 days) Options: General -use archive bits checked/Advanced -Remove archive bit unchecked. Now it's Thursday, and the program is making ... a full backup of everything, unless I did not change any options in days. What can be the reason ?

I am still looking for more information about Cobian. Are incremental and differential services only based on the archive bit ? Cannot find information about that. Are there other tools built-in as timestamps or hash ? Since it is possible in the Advanced section to invoke the setting of the archive bit or not after a backup, there must be another tool involved to determine if a file has been changed or not.

Since there are more tasks with full backups on other days to other destinations, where only one of them resets the archive bit, am I confused about the working. Can you explain it a bit ? It would be very helpful for everyone.
Last edited by MarcusAurelius on 25 Jul 2024, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

You can use the archive attribute or not (for incremental). For differential the archive attribute must be used.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator