Error message - the safe mirror directory doesn't exist or cannot be accessed

Questions about Cobian Reflector
stevecobb12550

Error message - the safe mirror directory doesn't exist or cannot be accessed

Post by stevecobb12550 »

I installed Reflector on a Window 10 computer, and am backing up a shared network drive to an external SSD. The program is installed as an application. Under advanced features, I unchecked the "mirror task" option. However, when backing up, the error message still appears "The safe mirror directory doesn't exist or cannot be accessed." Any ideas why the program is trying to use this option?
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Error message - the safe mirror directory doesn't exist or cannot be accessed

Post by cobian »

Yes, that warning comes up even if the task is not a mirror task. Just as a warning. You can uncheck the option "Use a safe mirror directory" on Options-Advanced.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
CraigD

Re: Error message - the safe mirror directory doesn't exist or cannot be accessed

Post by CraigD »

FYI I get this same message. It's listed in the Log as an error (not a warning). The "mirror" option is already un-checked in the Advanced options area.

I am using the 0.9.18 BTEA version.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, it's reported as an error, even if this is a warning. Just for the user to fix this (in case this will be needed in the future). Anyway, I really think mirrors are a very bad idea, so I will perhaps remove this option anyway.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
CraigD

Post by CraigD »

In case you have this same message, the setting for the Safe Mirror location is under Tools | Options | Advanced. The reason I got that message is because the program's service is run using a service account -- not the account that I use to login to the machine. The program defaults to a folder in the %LocalAppData% folder of the user account used to launch the program -- which is my service account. My login account doesn't have access that service account's profile and therefore fails when that location is accessed (attempted to be accessed).

Sounds convoluted when I type it out, but it has something to do with the service account and my login account, and the program's default for the safe mirror location. I created a Safe Mirror folder in the installation folder and then pointed the program's Safe Mirror location there. Now I don't get the error.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Exactly. There is no way to know what user will be running the task, so I'm just warning in order for the user to fix this, but it seems like this is not a good idea.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
CraigD

Post by CraigD »

Well one observation I'll make is that it doesn't look like a warning. In fact, the log entry starts with "Err". Someone like me gets antsy when there is any error with the backup. Changing the "Err" to "Warn" would help.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Indeed.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
thierryd44

Post by thierryd44 »

Hello. Thank you for this new version.
A remark about the mirror: For me, it is an indispensable option, for certain types of backup. I have an application that takes files as input, and moves them to a history directory after integration into the database (historisation). This integration can occur before or after a backup operation. In this case, it is essential that the backup deletes the files that no longer exist in the source, since they have simply been moved after processing. Only a mirror operation allows this. This option should naturally be used with caution, but it is one of the great strengths of your software.
Best regards.
PS: Sorry for the English level. I use a translator ...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I understand.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator