7zip compression

Questions about Cobian Reflector
jws

Re: 7zip compression

Post by jws »

Hi,
I am trying to compress files individually and I would like to 7zip them... but the Method dropdown is fixed to Zip. Is this not possible to 7zip files as it used to be in Cobian Backup?

Keep up the great work!
I've been using Cobian Backup for quite a while...
Cheers!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

No, not possible at this moment. Too slow. :|
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
jws

Post by jws »

OK, then it makes sense.

I would like to add a small suggestion :idea: .
What I do is I do backup onto "Bitlocker-ed" drive and therefore I do not need to encrypt my files.

I wonder if it is possible to add a feature not to compress file if the file is smaller than some threshold.. of X kB AND obviously encryption is not required.

What happens in many cases is that I have a lot of small files and the number of such files is quite big. It takes much more time to zip these files than it would have taken just to copy, and the gain in size is.... nothing! as a small file still will take the same size on the disk - one cluster. The threshold could be configurable as only the owner knows what the cluster size of the target disk is.
Obviously when the protection is enabled then... every file needs to be compressed and encrypted, no doubt about that. This shall not change.

I wonder how many people use Reflector just for backup (simple backup, without encryption) like me...

Cheers!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I don't encrypt (or compress) my backups at all. I just copy them to 3 different destinations.

I'll see if I can add conditional compression at some point at the future.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator