Very slow to creating monolithic archive

Questions about Cobian Reflector
maxdaddy

Very slow to creating monolithic archive

Post by maxdaddy »

I have a "Projects" task imported from Cobian Backup. It backs up a fairly extensive folder structure of git repos. It totals about 2 GB. It's an incremental backup with a full done every 5 backups. In Cobian Backup it created a single 7-zip archive. In Reflector I have it set as a monolithic. In CB a full backup would take approx. 10 minutes. In Reflector it's been running for 2.5 hours with no signs of finishing soon. In the status bar I can see the "Compressing <file_name>" messages and each individual text file is taking a minute or more. At this rate it will be running for weeks, if not months. Any idea what's going on???
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Very slow to creating monolithic archive

Post by cobian »

The name of the files is shown once a second. Many files could have been compressed between 2 file names..

BTW are you using 0.9.10?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Elektrik

Post by Elektrik »

+1, same here. got 20+GB backup done with compression to .zip in tens of minutes in Cobian Backup, however it is already 3+ hrs making same backup in Reflector.
maxdaddy

Post by maxdaddy »

I was using 0.9.08. Just got the notification about 0.9.10. Trying it again with the new "Global monolithic" option.
Elektrik

Post by Elektrik »

0.9.10 is still slow, seems like iterating one file per second, not just slow display refresh
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I understand. But I think I will not show the files in the status bar because this is only updating once a second. I will only show "Compressing..." from now on.

I will change the compression library soon to see if it speeds up.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
maxdaddy

Post by maxdaddy »

Yeah, as Elektrik says, it's still slow. 5 hours to backup 2 GB. I also miss the 7-zip support and the ability to split the archive. My basic workflow is to create zip backups of local project and document folders. The destination is a Box Sync folder so the backup archives get synced to the cloud. Box deals well with a handful of large zip files. It doesn't deal so well trying to keep track of thousands of small files.

But just want to add though that I'm really happy to see this being resurrected and improved. My company took away the fancy commercial backup solution we used to have, which was slow anyway. They left us to fend for ourselves for backups and CB has been my go-to workhorse for years.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I have now purchased the source code of the zip library I am using, so today I will debug it and try to find out why it's so slow.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
cirilorocha

Post by cirilorocha »

First, I apologize for the google translator.
I observed this situation with many small files and many directories.
I don't know if it helps but 7zip is open source and provides libraries for use, allowing you to use zip or 7z for compression. It may be easier to use this tool right away rather than other third-party software.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I have tested some open source ports of 7zip to C# and none of them is useful/have all features I need. I don't have the time to do it myself, so I purchased a zip library that is quite capable (but with some issues), so I bought the source code as well to try to fix it....
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator