Multiple Bug Reports for the Beta (0.9.10)

Questions about Cobian Reflector
BoffinBrain

Multiple Bug Reports for the Beta (0.9.10)

Post by BoffinBrain »

Hi there! I've actually been using Cobian Backup as a secondary backup utility for several years so I guess I should start by saying thanks for the work you put into it. I'm glad to see you're able to keep developing it at this point and I was curious to see what changes would make it into Reflector. I've given 0.9.08 and 0.9.10 a try over the last few days and I have several suggestions and a few bug reports for you. If you want more details on any of these or want it split into a separate thread then let me know. I'll start with the more bug-like things and put some opinions and feature requests into a second thread.

1. A couple of minor things about the license agreement during installation...
There is a minor typo in the sentence "Cobian Reflector, all it's files and documentation". It should be "its".
Also, the license agreement in whole appears to have manual line breaks, which don't line up with the container. I'd suggest removing the unnecessary line breaks so the program can handle word wrapping.

Terms.png
Terms.png (46.05 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

2. If there was an error during a backup, the taskbar icon continues to flash red after the log tab has been viewed, and even after it's been cleared. It stops flashing after the main window is closed.

3. I encountered a serious issue where the program's interface wouldn't start up (the taskbar icon would show as orange briefly but then disappear). It wouldn't work again until I moved aside the config files located in AppData\Local\CobianSoft. Looking at the config files I had prior to and after the issue, it looks like this line could have caused a problem. I'm not sure how it ended up with that value, but I guess some data validation wouldn't hurt here.

Code: Select all

Task Column 1=-2147483648
4. When saving a list, I get the error "An error occurred while saving the list [path]:(5) Access is denied: [path]" but the file is actually saved successfully.

5. When performing a backup that includes the entirety of multiple drives, using absolute paths, I found one drive was backed up as a hidden directory and it cannot be made unhidden. When I tested again it seems to occur only when set to back up the entire drive, not specific folders in it. So for example, I choose to back up all of drive A: and in my backup folder, I get a directory called "A" and it's marked as hidden. When I choose to back up A:\Test, then the directory "A" is not hidden. I've never seen a folder where the 'hidden' flag is disabled before. Even when opening the folder properties as an administrator it can't be unhidden. This behaviour seems to be new compared to Cobian Backup. I also repeated the test with the volume shadow copy option disabled, and ended up with the same results. Any ideas?

6. Toolbar buttons in the History panel do not honor the setting for drop shadow. (I'm not a fan of the drop shadows in general but I'll add that to my feedback thread!)

HistoryToolbar.png
HistoryToolbar.png (22.08 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

7. When attempting to exclude certain directories like the Recycle Bin and System Volume Information, Cobian attempts to look in the folders anyway during backup and logs Access Denied errors such as "An error occurred while listing the content of the directory [path]".

Excludes.png
Excludes.png (14.31 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

8. If you try to open a .lst file made in Cobian Gravity, nothing happens. At first I didn't know there was a separate feature to import legacy lists. Perhaps the Open function should try to import it as legacy if it fails, or otherwise warn the user about the failure, and suggest using the Import function instead.

I hope this helps, and keep up the good work!
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Bug Reports for the Beta (0.9.10)

Post by cobian »

Hello!

Thank you for the feedback!

1- Fixed for the next release
2- I will take a look at that, but I think it's the same behavior of the old version isn't it?
3- This is already fixed for the next version as indicated on another thread.
4- Will take a look at that
5- AHAAA!!!!! At last some person who came with the whole information! Thank YOU, THANKS!!! The problem of course happens because the root directory IS a system directory! Thank you , will fix that !
6- Will fix
7- Will be fixed
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BoffinBrain

Re: Multiple Bug Reports for the Beta (0.9.10)

Post by BoffinBrain »

Awesome! It sounds like you've got this all under control. :)

Yes, it looks like the persistent flashing also occurred in older versions. I probably didn't notice because I was exiting it immediately after completing the backup, while I kept Reflector open for much longer while experimenting with all the features.

I'm very glad to hear that was the info you needed to identify the mysterious hidden folders. Sounds like that one's been causing you some headaches for a while! And as a result of that, you reminded me that the 'System' flag is something that can't be seen in Explorer's native properties dialog and I needed a 3rd-party utility to check it. I can confirm that the hidden folder also had that flag set.