Various Feedback for the Beta (0.9.10)

Questions about Cobian Reflector
BoffinBrain

Various Feedback for the Beta (0.9.10)

Post by BoffinBrain »

Accompanying my previous thread with all the bug reports, here's my list of other suggestions for improving Reflector...

1. Cobian's toaster notifications are a bit unsightly and don't match the OS. I would personally reduce the border radius and make the background color more neutral and remove the text shadow to make it more easily readable. Have you considered trying to integrate with native Windows 10 notifications? It could be a setting that's automatically enabled on Win10 and above, since I know older versions don't have it.

Toaster.png
Toaster.png (4.48 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

2. I'm not a fan of the toolbar style in Reflector. Blue on yellow is a strange combination, and the drop shadows everywhere look very last-decade. As soon as I go into the visual settings and remove the drop shadow, things immediately look clearer.

3. I'd also suggest not using a red drop-shadow on the Log tab when it's flashing. It would be better to indicate that with a background color change, or a flashing icon instead.

LogTab.png
LogTab.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

4. This might also have applied to Cobian Backup Gravity, but I think the task context menu could be made more intuitive by having the 'Run Selected Tasks' item appear top of the menu, since it's contextually more likely to be the user's desired choice when using the menu. Perhaps the order of the buttons on the toolbar should also be reversed?

TaskContextMenu.png
TaskContextMenu.png (12.35 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

5. A few of the new icons are a bit confusing and I think a few alternatives could be chosen...
a) The Run Task and Run All Tasks are using the floppy disk icon which is universally understood as 'Save file'. Indeed, the same icon is used for the 'Save List As' function in the menus. I would suggest reverting to a Play icon to indicate that a task is something that runs, not saves.
b) A task's icon is represented as a clock implying that it's waiting to run, even when there's currently nothing running and nothing is scheduled to run either. Perhaps a more suitable icon can be used to indicate that a task is idle?
c) Similarly, when a task is running, it gets a cogwheel icon, but cogwheels are usually associated with a program's settings. Perhaps it would make better sense if the cogs were actually animating, but otherwise, consider using a playing icon for these too?

6. I'd suggest using Consolas or Lucida Console as default log font. These fonts render better (ClearType) and they are the preferred choice in Microsoft applications, including the command line.

7. Since Reflector uses a modern GUI library now, perhaps you can make it support Windows 10 dark mode? I don't know how tricky that would be, but I guess you'd also need some inverted color icons.

Thanks for reading!
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Various Feedback for the Beta (0.9.10)

Post by cobian »

Thank you for your feedback

1- The color of the balloon can be customized. I am planing an option to integrate it to the Windows 10 notification system (if running on Windows 10) or newer. So the answer is yes, its coming.

2- You can customize the colors with a theme or with own colors on the Visual tab of the options.

3- You can disable this signalization on the Visuals tab of the options

4- This is more to maintain the same order than the one in the main menu. Could be very confusing to have a different order on different menus. Or perhaps the order must be changed on the main menu, but there users should often run all tasks.

5- Find me the icons you like in xaml format and I'll be more than glad to use them. I'm really not that good at that. ;)

6- Segoe UI is the default font for WPF applications. Don't know why but maybe there is a reason. Didn't want to change the default.

7- This is planned for future versions.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BoffinBrain

Post by BoffinBrain »

1 & 2. Aha! I see the issue now. I thought that button to open the theme selector wasn't a button, but merely a preview to show the drop shadow setting. It doesn't look like other native buttons and its proximity to the shadow settings reinforces this. Perhaps that could be made more intuitive with a separate button, or even pulled into its own dedicated settings tab?

CustomizeColors.png
CustomizeColors.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 2504 times

3. That's good to know. I think I'd want to keep the option turned on since it's a good indicator - it could just be done in a slightly more contemporary way. Flashing a drop-shadow is something I remember seeing only in a handful of video games. :)

4. Yep, this one is admittedly a little more subjective, and veteran users probably won't care, but intuitively it does make some sense to have 'run a single task' come before 'run all tasks' in a list.

5. I'll see what I can find! I haven't worked with vector graphics in quite a while... I presume SVG to XAML is easy to do? Are there any other task states that have icons other than idle and running?

6. Oh yes, I wouldn't want to change the default UI font overall. I'm specifically talking about the "Log Font" which is the monospaced one. It defaults to Courier New at the moment.

7. Now that would be really impressive to see. Good luck with it.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

6. Oh yes, I wouldn't want to change the default UI font overall. I'm specifically talking about the "Log Font" which is the monospaced one. It defaults to Courier New at the moment.
I see... Will change it.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ray76it

Post by ray76it »

I just add my consideration on the icons (point 5 on previous list). It will be perfect if scheduled tasks mantain the clock icon while "manual" tasks get another icon (i could suggest the "play" icon that is in the right-click menu already). I think that in Gravity version of the software was like this already. The clock in manual tasks haven't much sense.
Thank you for your job anyway!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Than you for the feedback
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator