Couple feature requests - Etas, current speed, start task while one running, maybe a wizard

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Jasong222

Couple feature requests - Etas, current speed, start task while one running, maybe a wizard

Post by Jasong222 »

Hello all,

Just started using Cobian Backup in depth. I hope it becomes my goto backup program. When using new things I get a lot of ideas, so I thought I would jot a couple down here for the new version. Haven't used the new version yet, so apologies if these are already part of the program. I'm hesitant to use a beta, or at least would definitely want to get my backup set up and fully running before I play around with a beta. Anyway. I'd love to see:

Counters: Definitely a 'current speed' counter. I'd like to be able to compare the speed to TerraCopy, etc. RichCopy had a counter but it counted in, like, bytes so was super annoying to look at, lol. Also wouldn't mind a "Time elapsed" and a "Time remaining". Using the CobianBackup UI as an example, I think all of those things could go on their own tab in the window where the Task Properties, History and Log are. I'm sure the UI will be different, just giving that as a reference.

While one task was running, I created another task. I was not able to start that task while one was already running. I think it might be ok to be able to start a task even though one is running. If that second task had to wait until the first task was complete before it could start, I think that would be ok.

I also wonder if a Wizard wouldn't make it easier to use for newbies like I kinda am. Something that walks through a bunch of questions- Do you want one backup, or different versions? How long do you want to keep each version? Etc. To Wizard-up the task settings. If not, then I think some more... expansive explanations of some of the settings might be helpful.

For examples: "Use system's temporary directory" the tool tip that says "Use the temporary directory from the system's variables" doesn't help me understand what the actual impact of that function is, how it works, do I need it, etc. (Just a thought, I know these things are time consuming. If they can't be done they can't be done! I'm liking the program so far anyway.

Thank you!
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Couple feature requests - Etas, current speed, start task while one running, maybe a wizard

Post by cobian »

Thank you. Time elapsed is coming on the next version.
While one task was running, I created another task. I was not able to start that task while one was already running. I think it might be ok to be able to start a task even though one is running. If that second task had to wait until the first task was complete before it could start, I think that would be ok.
The task is added to the executing queue and will be run when the current one is completed.

Thank you for the other suggestions. I'll see what can be done.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Jasong222

Re: Couple feature requests - Etas, current speed, start task while one running, maybe a wizard

Post by Jasong222 »

cobian wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 19:31 Thank you. Time elapsed is coming on the next version.

The task is added to the executing queue and will be run when the current one is completed.
Ok, I think I understand what happened then.

So you'd have icons for:

Task currently running
Task that will run in the future but not running now
And maybe one for "set to run". Like set to run immediately after <previous tasks> run. In the queue to run. Going to run 'soon'. Like a clock with a little triangle in the corner. Like a windows shortcut icon but the arrow is the Cobian 'running' arrow.
Manual tasks that aren't scheduled to run until the user says so. --With an icon that isn't a clock. I dunno like a... notepad maybe. Or mini calendar.

Or put another way, icons for: Active (Manual), Scheduled, Pending, Running.

That would fix my situation- If I added a task I would see a visual indicator that it's going to run 'next'- A clock with a little green triangle. And it might prevent other situations also- Let's say I set a scheduled task to run on Tuesdays but accidentally added some setting so that the task isn't going to run today. I can just look over at the list of tasks and see that my Tuesday tasks are all set to run (b/c I see the clock with green triangle). Hmm. Except for that one task that only has a clock. So I examine that one and see that... I dunno, I had some condition set that wasn't met so the task wasn't going to run.

Anyway, just some additional thoughts. Maybe I'm overthinking it. If this doesn't seem helpful then just ignore it, lol...
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

You can manage your queue on List-Manage queue. You can also play with the priority of your tasks. I will add some ordering commands there in future versions.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Jasong222

Post by Jasong222 »

I'll check out the queue management items. And thanks for considering the ideas!