NAS sign-in

Questions about Cobian Reflector
justm

NAS sign-in

Post by justm »

I'm trying to backup to a password protected NAS. The user name and password of the NAS are different than my Windows account. What am I missing?
cobian
Site Admin

Re: NAS sign-in

Post by cobian »

Does it work using impersonation? I’d not, you may want to write a login script and execute it as a pre backup event.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ctsdtm2

Post by ctsdtm2 »

I have a backup using Nas - working.
First you cannot use the local service account to start the Cobian Reflector service.
You'll need to use a "real user" - the local service account does not have access to network resources...
In my case - I created a unique user specific for the task; I did have to sign in with that user, connect to the Nas and store the credentials.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Of course , the local service account doesn't access the network. This is the first warning you see when you install the program. But if you use impersonation this should be possible.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ctsdtm2

Post by ctsdtm2 »

If you use impersonate - using a user that is on the NAS only - Well that impersonated user have access to the folders and files that need backed?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

It's all about permissions. If the user has access then yes.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ctsdtm2

Post by ctsdtm2 »

"if the user has access" meaning the impersonated user?
If yes - then it would not have access to the files/directories on the computer - that user only exist on the NAS; not system.

All I am saying here - trying to help..
is using a real user account for the service - and storing the credentials for the NAS for that user works for me. (without using impersonation - because the NAS user does not exist on the system)
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I would use impersonation as a last resort (there are some problem with impersonation and accessing the temporary directory, for example). Your way of doing it is better in my opinion.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator