Very slow updating/modifying tasks even with option "show sizes" disabled

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Dario

Very slow updating/modifying tasks even with option "show sizes" disabled

Post by Dario »

Hello,
I'm using Cobian Reflector 0.9.36 Beta.

Any changes in task list is a pain. Even updating the name of a task it is extremely slow.

It seems that the program continues to calculate sizes in background even disabling "show sizes" option.

thank you
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Very slow updating/modifying tasks even with option "show sizes" disabled

Post by cobian »

If it is calculating once then you must wait for the calculation to end even if you disable it. So disabling this doesn't stop the current calculation , which can be a pain if you have millions of small files.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Dario

Post by Dario »

Actually the folders I'd like to backup have just 44 files for more or less 64Mb in size.

Is the interaction with the interface that is very slow. CLoning a task it takes over 40 seconds and each setting update it takes more than a minute.
For example if I just change the name of the task, the new name will be shown after more than a minute. It gets slower the more cloned tasks I add.

Never had such problem with Cobian Backup. Anyway the backup itself works fine is just the interface that is slow. Let's see the next releases...

Anyway thank you for your work Luis and best regards.

Dario
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Very interesting.. I would like to see what is happening there. The interface does nothing. The changes are send to the engine and saved there and then the list is send back. Do you have some other tasks in the list that contain a lot of files then there is a problem here.... But it shouldn't take soooo long time.

Are you using the program on a server Environment? What kind of graphic card is used? WPF is based on DirectX and use Graphics Card hardware acceleration.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Dario

Post by Dario »

I've a normal office PC with updated Windows 10, the graphic card is a simple NVIDIA NVS 300 and DirectX 12 installed.

Anyway, I started again with a fresh installation. I disabled "show sized" and also the shadows.

I got unstable results. At first I tried to add simple test tasks with a single file to backup and all seemed to work normally.

Then I tried to add a little bigger directory (19 folder and 67 file) in one of the tasks. The interface began to hang.

I removed again the directory but.... the interface continued to hang.

Other times has happened that just passing the cursor over the task list raised the CPU usage up to 30% with irresponsive highlighting, and some other time highlighting was normal.

I'm a programmer but I can't really figure what could be the trouble. Maybe my graphic drivers, dunno.

In the next day I'll try to do more tests and in the case I'll keep you informed.

Thank you and best regards
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

19 folders and 69 files is nothing. The interface is using Windows Presentation Foundation, which could be very picky sometimes, but the layout I'm using is not so complex anyway... I'll be glad to get some feedback if you find something on this.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Yyyyyy

Post by Yyyyyy »

Hi,
For me, the user interface has also a speed problem.
When just pointing on a task with the mouse, it gets the "focus". Then if I move the pointer to another task (eg 5 down) it might hilight another in between (eg the 3rd) and then at last the right one with a delay of one or two second
(Backup was OK)
YY
v 0.9.36 beta
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

0.9.40 is much faster. The delay is now 200 ms
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator