"Access is denied" error when trying to back up directories

Questions about Cobian Reflector
duodsg

"Access is denied" error when trying to back up directories

Post by duodsg »

I recently started using Cobian Reflector to replace my existing Cobian Backup 11 installation, and I noticed that in the error log I am seeing the following error every time my weekly backup task runs:

Code: Select all

ERR 2021-11-06 12:15:44 An error occurred while listing the content of the directory "C:\Users\[NAME]\Documents\My Music": (5) Access is denied: [C:\Users\[NAME]\Documents\My Music]
ERR 2021-11-06 12:15:44 An error occurred while listing the content of the directory "C:\Users\[NAME]\Documents\My Pictures": (5) Access is denied: [C:\Users\[NAME]\Documents\My Pictures]
ERR 2021-11-06 12:15:44 An error occurred while listing the content of the directory "C:\Users\[NAME]\Documents\My Videos": (5) Access is denied: [C:\Users\[NAME]\Documents\My Videos]
I'm not sure what is causing this issue, but the way the services, tasks and settings are set up are identical to how I had it set up in Cobian Backup 11 before I switched to Reflector. Backup 11 had no such issues in the past but I tested it again just to be sure and this error is not replicated there. II also checked the directories in question and there are no special access permissions or read-only rights set on any of them.

Stranger still, when I check the backup itself the files that I was worried aren't being backed up are present (which is good). However, the error is concerning because something is clearly wrong and I don't know if the backup is intact unless I manually go check the new files against the originals from my PC.

I tried searching for "Access is denied" in the forum, Index and help documentation and there were no results, so I decided to post here.

OS version: Windows 10, 21H1, 19043.1288
Installation type: Service
Service installation: local system account (auto start service)

Thank you in advance!
cobian
Site Admin

Re: "Access is denied" error when trying to back up directories

Post by cobian »

Fortunately this error is easy to debug. Access is denied is always a matter of permissions. Check if SYSTEM has access to those directories (it should, but...)
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
duodsg

Post by duodsg »

Thank you for the quick reply!

I checked all three of the folders from the error and all three groups or user names (SYSTEM, [MyUsername] and Administrators are all set to Full Control over all three folders. The owner for all three folders is set to [MyUsername] since they live under the local account (User) root directory.

I re-ran the task and I am still getting the error. Is there some other place the permissions could be set incorrectly?

One thing I did confirm again was that there was no impersonation set up in the task (where I would be running it as a different user)- this is currently over and has been the whole time.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

You shouldn't need impersonation if you are running as System and this account has access to the files.

What's interesting is that the error indicates that the account cannot get the file listing....
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
tmoon

Post by tmoon »

This exact situation happens on all of my PCs as well. I wonder if it is related to the Windows install/upgrade process creating file system junction points, and on occasion creating endless loop(s) in the directory structure (i.e., a link pointing to a parent directory). When a program such as a backup program descends through the directory tree, the junction point is encountered, and listing its contents (aliased to parent directory) lists again the junction point, which again lists the parent directory, creating an endless loop (do an internet search for "Application Data\Application Data\Application Data" and you will see numerous references to this problem). To address this, Microsoft adds a deny list directory for everyone’s permission to the junction point (in Windows Explorer, double-click a junction point and you get 'Access Denied' message), which is necessary to prevent recursive loops. Note that just 'List Directory' permission is denied, so all other read and write permissions remain in effect allowing hard-coded paths, such as 'C:\Documents and Settings', to function correctly.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

That's exactly why Ignore junction points is not checked by default. Infinite loops are very common when trying to backup those.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
tmoon

Post by tmoon »

"Junction Point" selection is specified within: Tools / Options / Engine / Ignore reparse points in directories
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Exactly.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
panqmark

Post by panqmark »

Dears!
This is my first post and at the bigining I would ike to say hello to Everyone!
I use Cobian Reflection for a few weeks and it seems that backups are fine but I got an irritaiting error. Its similar to reported by duodsg (except last two):

Code: Select all

ERR 2022-12-05 19:30:55 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Backup": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Backup]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:31:14 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Binn\Xtp": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Binn\Xtp]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:32 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\DATA": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\DATA]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:32 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\ExtensibilityData": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\ExtensibilityData]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:32 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\ExternalLanguagesTemp": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\ExternalLanguagesTemp]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:32 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\ExternalLibraries": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\ExternalLibraries]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:32 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\ExternalLibrariesTemp": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\ExternalLibrariesTemp]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:32 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\FTData": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\FTData]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:34 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\JOBS": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\JOBS]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:34 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Log": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Log]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:34 Cannot get the directory and file list from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\repldata": (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\repldata]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:40 An error occurred while compressing the file "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Template Data\tempdb.mdf" into the archive: (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Template Data\tempdb.mdf]
ERR 2022-12-05 19:32:40 An error occurred while compressing the file "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Template Data\templog.ldf" into the archive: (5) Access is denied: [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy141\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.PLATNIK\MSSQL\Template Data\templog.ldf]
There is only one account (administrator) on a PC. I also checked if option ‘Ignore reparse points in directories’ is marked. It is:
cobian options.jpg
cobian options.jpg (123.68 KiB) Viewed 6020 times
What can generate this error? Backup seems to be created correctly. I will be very grateful for your support!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

This is an access denied error. Your user doesn't have access to those files (There is no system with only ONE user)
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator