RFE: UTF8

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Todd

RFE: UTF8

Post by Todd »

CobianReflector-0.9.60.exe

RFE: Would you please consider encoding the text file inside of your log attachment's zip file in UTF8, instead of UTF16? Most of my text editors foobar with `ÿþ` on UTF16. And looking at the text inside the log file, you are not using any of the advanced features of UTF16 anyway.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: RFE: UTF8

Post by cobian »

Windows default has always been UTF16 even in the API. Many programs using UTF8 are ported from the Unix world. The log could easily be converted with a script.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Todd

Re: RFE: UTF8

Post by Todd »

cobian wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 01:11 Windows default has always been UTF16 even in the API. Many programs using UTF8 are ported from the Unix world. The log could easily be converted with a script.
Not all of us are reading these reports in Windows. The internal file manager for zips usually have their own UTF8 default text readers. This is were I get all screwed up. But there is usually a way to call an external text reader that will take UTF16.

My experience with Windows API's is that they give you both UTF8 and UTF16 call, but wag the finger at you with in the directions to use the UTF16 call. Calls to the registry still have both.

I could be using Apple's text editor (in name only). It is horrible.

I am a Fedora shop. All my Windows OS'es are run in KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine)