Cannot Cancel Install

Questions about Cobian Reflector
gvd

Cannot Cancel Install

Post by gvd »

Hello Luis,

I just installed the latest beta of CR (0.9.60).

Is it normal that once the installation program has started, I can only click on the CANCEL button when the actual installation of Cobian Reflector is started ?

On all the previous screens (entering the parameters, ...), I can accept the current screen and continue or return to the previous screen but I cannot cancel the installation before it actually takes place.

Annoying, isn't it :cry: ?

Best regards
Gabriel
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Cannot Cancel Install

Post by cobian »

Yes. Canceling the installation could cause instability with half of the services installed and no way of uninstalling it. Better safe than sorry.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
gvd

Post by gvd »

I probably didn't make myself clear.

I start the installation program and it asks me for some information (service or application, user, ...). During this part of the installation, data is collected but nothing is installed or changed. So there is no risk to interrupt the installation. However, the CANCEL button is greyed out and there is no way to interrupt. I am forced to complete the installation even if I do not want to.

On the other hand, during the actual installation phase, when the program tinkers with the registry and installs the services, the CANCEL button is no longer greyed out (I'm not crazy, I didn't click on it ;) ).

Isn't there something to do about this ?

(and I hope that this time, my explanation is clearer :D ).
Gabriel
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Aha.. Yes, that's right. The cancel button is disabled because no action needs to be taken yet. My idea is that the window can be closed as usual.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
gvd

Post by gvd »

The behaviour associated with this CanceI button is most surprising:
- while entering parameters, it cannot be used to exit the program. You have to use the "X" in the banner.
- During the installation of programs and services, it can be used but you yourself say "Canceling the installation could cause instability with half of the services installed and no way of uninstalling it".

Wouldn't it be better to remove this button?
Gabriel
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Could be yes. But I seem to remember I added this button in v 10 because many felt uncomfortable NOT having a cancel button.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
gvd

Post by gvd »

Hi Luis,

This is my last post on the subject :oops: .

The fact that the "Cancel" button is greyed out leads the user (me !) to think that it is not possible to interrupt the installation and he does not even try to click on the cross.

I think that the "Cancel" button should be activated when it is possible to interrupt the program by clicking on the cross. That would be clearer (imho ;) ).
Gabriel
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

OK. I will take a look at that.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator