Compression and Network Traffic

Questions about Cobian Reflector
kleinfelter

Compression and Network Traffic

Post by kleinfelter »

If I use zip compression and I write my backups using a UNC path to a folder on a server, is only compressed data written to the server?

e.g. Some programs that do compression write out the uncompressed data and then they compress it. For those programs, one really wants to make the initial write happen on local storage.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Compression and Network Traffic

Post by cobian »

The compression is done directly on the destination except when using FTP/sftp as the destination.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
julio1

Post by julio1 »

Hi Luis,

Thank you for the explanation.
That may explain a problem I'm facing.
I have a backup with two destinations, one is a local NAS and the other is a NAS in a remote location. The remote location is taking a lot of time to finish, days to be more exact. (the backup is around 15gb with 10mb of upload speed.) It shouldn't take more than a day.
I have encryption with zero level of compression enabled (because I need files to be encrypted but compression is not necessary).

As I can see in your explanation the compression is done on the remote location, it may explain why the backup is taking so long, right?
But if the previous version of Cobian Backup worked the same way (even though compression was grayed out and you said it was compressing anyway with 0 level) I can't see where the difference is.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I'm talking about compression of individual files. Monolithic compression is done on the temporary directory.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
julio1

Post by julio1 »

Hi,

Yes, I'm using compression of individual files, no monolithic compression. I'm not using it because it says not recommended :lol:
However, I don´t see the difference between CB and CR task configuration, something changed in the way the backup is made, am I right?
Maybe I should try using monolithic compression? I read this thread and it is what is happening to me with individual compression.
I'm running 0.972

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=461

Thanks for your help.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

The problem is that copying a lot of small files to a NAS is always painfully slow. A monolithic archive is creating one file, and not a lot of them. The "not recommended" is another way to say, well, I know about the risks.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator