Differential backup - folder timestamp seems to override file timestamps

Questions about Cobian Reflector
djenz

Differential backup - folder timestamp seems to override file timestamps

Post by djenz »

My differential backups are getting too big. It seems like a changed folder timestamp will cause files in that folder to be backed up as well. Newest version seems to include only individual files, not subfolders.
Adding one file to e.g. users/nn/downloads may cause all files to be included in differential backup, when only one should have been.
(Windows 11 build 22523)
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Differential backup - folder timestamp seems to override file timestamps

Post by cobian »

I don't see how that is possible. But differential backups ARE reductant, so perhaps you want to use incremental backups?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
djenz

Post by djenz »

My problem seems to be tied to weekly Windows Insider updates (which have been suspended over the holiday period).
I have set backup up with full backup once a week and differential backups each of the other days.
When a new Windows insider build is installed the timestamps for various "system" folders are updated by the system. Folders include Pictures, Music, Videos, Downloads. Individual file timestamps are not touched.
If I install a new build on Wednesday the affected folders will be backed up in full until the next "full backup" is done, typically on Saturday.
I will test incremental backup next week.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Incrementals will copy everything after an update then, but only once.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator