Uno de los dispositivos conectados al sistema no funciona

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Jarkor

Uno de los dispositivos conectados al sistema no funciona

Post by Jarkor »

Hi Luis,

We were using Cobian 11 on a device, with some random errors, so we decided to update to Cobian Reflector.
The same errors persists.... The error message says "Uno de los dispositivos conectados al sistema no funciona" which means something like "one of the devices connected to the system doesn't works".
The OS is in Spanish, but Cobian Reflector is installed in English and the GUI is in English also.

The backup results is as follows (the user were changed for security)

2021-12-28 03:19:35 Deleting the Volume Shadow Copy image...
2021-12-28 03:19:39 The Volume Shadow Copy image has been successfully deleted.
2021-12-28 03:19:39 The impersonation of dominio\user has been reverted.
2021-12-28 03:19:39 The user dominio\user has been logged off.
2021-12-28 03:19:39 The computer can now enter sleep mode.
2021-12-28 03:19:39 The backup has ended. There are errors. Consult the log file.

I'm attaching some captures with the errors from Cobian 11 and Cobian Reflector. Some details blurred intentionally for security also.
We've checked the path length and is less than 256.

Cobian Reflector v0.9.65 BETA

Task details attached also.
The source is a local folder, the destination is a small NAS on the network with a shared folder
The are no permissions issues, we have access to the files that trow errors, with the user that is being impersonated for the task.

In the previous Cobian version, the files that failed were random, but almost always, the same. Sometimes, no errors at all in the backup task.
In the new version (installed 2 days ago) the files that fails are different, but in the 2 days, were the same file.

If you need more information or other debug information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Attachments
task.png
task.png (37.49 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
CobianReflector.png
CobianReflector.png (21.26 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Cobian11_2.png
Cobian11_2.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Cobian11_1.png
Cobian11_1.png (56.27 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Uno de los dispositivos conectados al sistema no funciona

Post by cobian »

This should be solved if you run the program as an application (and without impersonation) and not as a service.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Jarkor

Post by Jarkor »

Thanks for answering Luis.

But, do you have additional information regarding the root cause of the issue? Just to see is we can implement another kind of workaround.....because running the software as an application requires manual intervention for us that for sure will fail some day, with regular restart to install updates, etc, and we will run without backups eventually without logging on.

If the issue is related to impersonation, I was thinking running the services as the user used for impersonation, and remove the impersonation option for the tasks. This should help?

Thanks again
Best regards,
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

If it's working as an application but not as a service, I recommend your install the server using the same account under which it works as an application (but *without* using impersonation).
For example, if your user is: dominio\jose, just install the service using that account and not Sistema.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Jarkor

Post by Jarkor »

No, currently is not working as an application, we always run as service.
The service now is installed and running as the user, as mentioned (dominio\backup) and the shadow copy requester is running as local system.
We've removed impersonation in the tasks, but it fails in the same way.

So, the only possible workaround is to run the software as an application instead of as a service? Or there's something else to try?. We can test anything you want.

Thanks
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

No, but it will help to solve the problem. If it does work as an application then we know that it will work as a service with some changes. But if it doesn't work as an application THEN the problem is in the permissions and configuration of the destination.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Jarkor

Post by Jarkor »

Ah, OK!

So, we will switch temporarily to application, and run the tasks to see if the issue persist in this way.
I will let you know when we have news regarding the tests done.

Thanks!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Jarkor

Post by Jarkor »

Hi Luis, how are you?

I've removed the service, run the backup task as application, and without impersonation.
Still fails with the same error.

But I've tried to copy manually the confliective files, and we couldn't. We have permissions, and R/W access to the files, but we can't overwrite the destination files, and we also can't delete the destination files in the NAS.
So, I guess it's a NAS issue. We will take a look into the nas logs...keep you posted with news asap.

best regards
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Thanks. As a rul: if a file can be copied manually, the it can be copied as an application.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator