Encryption without compression

Questions about Cobian Reflector
julio1

Encryption without compression

Post by julio1 »

Hi,

Is there a way to encrypt files without compress them?
On Gravity you can let your task with not compression at all, although you can choose to have your files encrypted.
Using Reflector the only way to have your files encrypted is to have them compressed too.
If I choose not to compress, the encryption option will gray out. Despite the task properties still display encryption as YES, it wont compress any file.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Encryption without compression

Post by cobian »

That was an illusion. On Gravity, encrypted files were just ZIP files (with zero compression level) with the zip extension changed to enc. 8-)

You can have the same thing here: Set the compression level to 0 and the encryption. The only difference is that the extension is not changed.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
julio1

Post by julio1 »

Hi Luis,

Thank you for the explanation and destroyed my ideal world haha.

Understood what you said, but something must have changed, because on Gravity when no compression is set, for remote backups it took around 16, 18 hours.. and same content and options on Reflector took days...and when checking what is going on, although it is set in level 0 compression I see Reflector is compressing and checking every file on remote destination (as you explained in another thread this behaviour) it is why the backup is so slow and the difference I can see between both versions.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Could you send me both the old and the new list to make some tests? Be sure to delete any eventual password you have on it.

Thanks
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
julio1

Post by julio1 »

Hi Luis,

Thank you for your efforts investigating this issue.

Regards,

Julio.
Attachments
Cobian lists.zip
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Thanks.

Yes, the difference is that in this version the compression is done at the end (which could be a lot slower). I'll see what can be done.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
gizmo

Post by gizmo »

cobian wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 23:31 That was an illusion. On Gravity, encrypted files were just ZIP files (with zero compression level) with the zip extension changed to enc. 8-)

You can have the same thing here: Set the compression level to 0 and the encryption. The only difference is that the extension is not changed.
What is the difference between an .enc and .enz?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

If I remember it correctly, I use .enc for encrypted files. Enz (I think) is used by EndNote(?)
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
gizmo

Post by gizmo »

I recall .enz for 7zip file and .enc for zip file but unable to find a reference to this.

However, when I changed the .enz extension to .7z and used 7Zip to decrypt, 7Zip says the .enz file (now .7z) is a zip file.

This link shows a user with the .enz as a backup file viewtopic.php?f=2&t=606&p=1821&hilit=enz#p1821
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

If the files are created with Gravity, just change the extension to zip and it should work. Those are zip files.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator