Feature Request: Warning Prior to Sleep/Shutdown

Questions about Cobian Reflector
satchmo67

Feature Request: Warning Prior to Sleep/Shutdown

Post by satchmo67 »

I have a post-backup task set to put the PC into sleep mode. While the backup is running in the background and I am using the PC, I'm sometimes caught unaware that it is starting to sleep. Then I need to wake it up to continue my work.

This isn't the end of the world, but it would be nice if I could be alerted that it's about to happen with the option to stop it.

Suggestion: Implement a post-back-up task to display an alert to users that the PC is to enter sleep mode in (say) 30 seconds. Provide an option to cancel the sleep mode and continue using the PC.

The alert could be the first post-backup task ahead of the shutdown task as the second. The action of accepting the alert could allow the shutdown to proceed or be canceled, with the default to proceed if no user response within 30 seconds. The same function could be used for PC sleep or shutdown.

Anyway, this is only a suggestion to improve the user experience; a "nice to have".

Thanks.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Warning Prior to Sleep/Shutdown

Post by cobian »

This could be tricky to implement because the backup should run even unattended and sometimes no user is logged on. I'll see what can be done.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
satchmo67

Post by satchmo67 »

cobian wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 15:48 This could be tricky to implement because the backup should run even unattended and sometimes no user is logged on.
Ooh, good point. I hadn't considered that.
cobian wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 15:48 I'll see what can be done.
Thank you!
satchmo67

Post by satchmo67 »

I was thinking for the unattended run, that the pop-up has a count down of 30 seconds. If no user action is taken then the PC sleeps/shuts down.

But the "not being logged on" use case was one I hadn't thought of.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, that was what I was thinking of. Just not clear is it worth to add so much complexity for this issue (I think it's not so common).
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
satchmo67

Post by satchmo67 »

Yes, understood. I viewed it only as a "nice to have".
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator