Service vs. Application behaves differently (I think)

Questions about Cobian Reflector
EricKS

Service vs. Application behaves differently (I think)

Post by EricKS »

Background: I had (gravity) installed and ran successfully for nearly a year and a half. My configuration was installed as service on PC / Win10 and backed up to Netgear NAS. Upgraded to Reflector and had no (application) problem. My issues started with my NAS filling up the drives. I had to fix by setting to factory settings. Up and running. Then my other NAS (Lenovo) failed. I replaced with Synology and increased disk size. Opted to set my backups to the new drive.

My problem and subsequent issue: I had Reflector installed as a service. Updated the tasks to point to the new drive. Tasks failed. I did not have permission to write to the drive. I tried running as impersonator, no luck. Could be I filled the blanks wrong. I tried looking at the new NAS interface to see if I could see a setting to update. Way more involved than my 10 yo NAS..... I then reinstalled Reflector as an Application. Success! until read the log. There were some files that did not copy due to being locked by another user (Outlook, Quickbooks). Never had that issue installed as service.

My questions:
Why does how I install affect how Reflector behaves? Is it supposed to?
Why can't I write to the Synology NAS when running as service? I can write from my PC with my ID just fine.
Is Reflector the issue or the NAS interface / settings?
I did notice in the log that as a service user is "SYSTEM" as an application user is my PC login.

Long term, I don't want to shut all apps every time I run.

Any help / insight would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Service vs. Application behaves differently (I think)

Post by cobian »

You can run it as a service. Just not under the system account. The System will never have access to a network share. Impersonation is a half-baked solution. You need to run the service under a regular account. Or as an application.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=694
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
EricKS

Post by EricKS »

Making headway... still have issues. I got this to install as a Service as User. When I run my task, the log reads:

2022-01-16 15:30:27 Impersonating the user "XXXX-PC\XXXX"...
2022-01-16 15:30:28 The user XXXX-PC\XXXX is now logged in.
2022-01-16 15:30:28 The user XXXX-PC\XXXX has successfully been impersonated.
2022-01-16 15:30:28 Requesting the creation of a Volume Shadow Copy image for the source...
2022-01-16 15:30:40 The Volume Shadow Copy image has been successfully created.
2022-01-16 15:30:40 Starting the copy. The user running the task is: XXXX
ERR 2022-01-16 15:30:40 The destination directory "\\”Directory” 2022-01-16 15;30;40 (Incremental)" couldn't be created: (5) Access is denied: [\\”NAS”\XXXX-PC-Backup]

2022-01-16 15:30:40 * Backup part for the task "Daily" has ended. Number of backed up files: 0. Backup part size: 0 bytes. *

I have R/W permission on the NAS from this User.

What is causing the Access denied error message?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

You should not impersonate. Just run the service AS the user.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
EricKS

Post by EricKS »

Thank you. Back to working. I had put in so many different things to try, I forgot to clear the impersonating.

As best I can tell, the password to my account was not recognized as valid. I changed it and put in the new one. That worked.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator