Differential and Full Backup Every settings interaction

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Bobins

Differential and Full Backup Every settings interaction

Post by Bobins »

Just want to clarify the logic in the Dynamics settings page.

Full copies to keep . Say it's set to 3, I assume it will automatically delete the oldest Full backup when a 4th full backup is done?
"Differential/Incremental Make a full backup every"... If set to say 5, will it make the full backup on 5th or 6th backup? (i.e would that be 4 differential then full or 5 differential then full)?
I assume the "Full copies to keep" logic still applies to this setting?

If I want to keep all differentials between full backups do I keep the "Differential copies to keep" setting at 0? I assume if say the "Make full backup every" is set to 10 and the Differentials to keep is say 5, the 6th-10th differential would progressively replace differentials 1-5.

What should happen if the "Differentials copies to keep" is set to the same or a greater value than "Make a full backup every"?

I ask these questions as I'm not seeing the differentials get deleted when the Full Backup every xx value is exceeded. (I do get the full backup).
Want to check I've set it up right before suggesting there is a bug :-)
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Differential and Full Backup Every settings interaction

Post by cobian »

Full copies to keep . Say it's set to 3, I assume it will automatically delete the oldest Full backup when a 4th full backup is done?
Yes
Differential/Incremental Make a full backup every"... If set to say 5, will it make the full backup on 5th or 6th backup? (i.e would that be 4 differential then full or 5 differential then full)?
It will keep 5 differentials. Next time full.
I assume the "Full copies to keep" logic still applies to this setting?
Yes
If I want to keep all differentials between full backups do I keep the "Differential copies to keep" setting at 0?
Yes
What should happen if the "Differentials copies to keep" is set to the same or a greater value than "Make a full backup every"?
Many settings on this tab can contradict each other, so try always to keep it simple... Full every will take over.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
lookup82

Post by lookup82 »

Hi,
I search in the forum and I found this post that has the most similar question.

I am using Reflector 1.0.0

I'm trying to config this backup strategy to minimize network impact and space consumption:
* full copies to keep: 2
* differential copies to keep: 5
* make a full backup every...: 50

I test that when the parameter "make a full backup every..." is grater than "differential copies to keep" the backup create always differential backup and no full backup are taken.

In my mind I also would like that the flag "use a fixed day" has to collaborate with the parameter "make a full backup every..." so that it is taken a full backup only on the first usefull day after is reached the "every..." parameter.

I'm sorry for my mixed question of clarification and improvement request.

...and obviously thanks for this special tool!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, these settings are always depending of the others in that tab. You need always to test that there is not a conflict between them.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator