A question about error when copy at NAS "As a service"

Questions about Cobian Reflector
David

A question about error when copy at NAS "As a service"

Post by David »

Hello.
First, very very thanks for this real freeware software. I've been using it for many years and i love it.

I have a curious question about a error that it produce when in try to do bakup in a NAS.

I install COBIAN "As a Service" and configure a new task that the destination directory is in a NAS with no problem. But when you run the task it show a error that it can´t do a new directory in the directory destination. However I can make directory and copy files without problem if I use directly the windows explorer.

Otherwise, if I do the installation "As an application" there no are error and do it whitout problem.

Sincerely, thank you for the very greasy program and for all your help. :APP :APP :APP
Graham

Re: A question about error when copy at NAS "As a service"

Post by Graham »

David wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 10:14 I install COBIAN "As a Service" and configure a new task that the destination directory is in a NAS with no problem. But when you run the task it show a error that it can´t do a new directory in the directory destination. However I can make directory and copy files without problem if I use directly the windows explorer.

Otherwise, if I do the installation "As an application" there no are error and do it whitout problem.
CR runs with the username "System" when it runs as a service and the System user has no permissions on the NAS.

Go to ... Tools ... Service and application control ... Logon ... and set ... Regular account ... to a value that has permissions on both the local machine and also on the NAS. Enter the account as ".\XYZ" if the account is on the local machine (as is typical for a home machine). Typically, this is the same account that you use to logon to Windows.

Or ... Run CR as an application and CR will use the user account that is logged in on the Windows machine.
gvd

Re: A question about error when copy at NAS "As a service"

Post by gvd »

Hi David,

In your Windows Explorer or when running Cobian Reflector as an app, the current user is doing the job.

When running Cobian Reflector as a service, you usually install with default settings and it is a local system user that tries to do the job. This user usually has no rights on your NAS, hence the errors reported numeral times in this forum.

To obviate this, I usually run Cobian Reflector as a service and add a pre-backup event that connect to the NAS as a legitimate user having enough rights. Google "Net use".
Gabriel