Small feature request

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Asmodee

Small feature request

Post by Asmodee »

I would like to see the ability to exclude certain files from a backup. Specifically, I don't ever want to back up "desktop.ini" files. These files are problematic when treating a backup as just data rather than specific directories as they contain information about the directory you may not want to include. For example, if I back up the "Desktop" folder and then copy that folder onto the Desktop of another computer (so that there is a Desktop folder on the computer's Desktop), if I rename the folder on the Desktop, I rename the actual Desktop folder because that desktop.ini file says, "This is THE Desktop folder". So any file named "desktop.ini" and probably "thumbs.db" I would like to exclude from every backup.

A few years ago I contacted support about folders in the backup having the same name. They were all system folders like Desktop, Documents and Public. It was difficult to tell them apart because, although the names had been changed with the time and date of the backup, they still just showed the "official" name. It is the desktop.ini files which cause this behavior.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Small feature request

Post by cobian »

Have you tried to exclude the mask

*\desktop.ini

I have not tested but I *think* it should work
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
gvd

Post by gvd »

In "Exclude these files", select "Add", "Mask" and enter "desktop.ini" (without quotes) and it will do the job. Tested !

You can add little things and end up with a list of masks like "*.bak, *.log, *.tmp, desktop.ini" (comma separated list of file masks).

Have fun.
Gabriel
Asmodee

Post by Asmodee »

Excellent! That's that problem taken care of. Thanks!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator