Installing Reflector

Questions about Cobian Reflector
ira

Installing Reflector

Post by ira »

I wonder if you should change the default install choice to Application, start for all users? It seems like the default start as service causes the most problems for people and the few who care about it's being a service will figure it out. Just a thought that crossed my mind as I was installing RC1.

Ira
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Installing Reflector

Post by cobian »

Yes, I was thinking about this just today. But then there will be A LOT of questions about why it's not backing up when nobody is logged on.... I think there is no way to win. People just don't read. Another possibility is to ask for a confirmation once two more times when a service is selected...
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
gvd

Post by gvd »

Luis +1 !

100 people report their problems.
1000 people running Reflector as a service do not connect to the forum to tell Luis "I am so happy with your software. It works beautifully, effortlessly and reliably".

Would you like to read 1000 people reflecting their problems :o .
Gabriel
ira

Post by ira »

You could ask some additional questions as likely the only people who care about backing up when signed out a medium and larger businesses. I might lock my computers, but never sign out and leave them on. Or maybe I'm wrong, but that's not my experience.

Ira
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, I think an extra-confirmation perhaps is the way to go. Thanks!
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ira

Post by ira »

The other option is to recommend they enter the users name and password to install as a service, then it will work too. You'll need to encrypt that if that's the case.

Ira
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

There is such an option. Just it's not the default because ideally, in the best case, the service should run as System if possibly.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ira

Post by ira »

Can it run as system and only use the name and password to connect to inaccessible locations? I know I can use my name and password to connect people with fewer privileges to places I have access to and they don't. Just guessing, I've no actual Idea what I'm talking about as writing services is way outside my expertise. I do VB.Net and embedded C.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

There are 3 possibilities:

1- System cannot access network devices because this is a default policy on Windows. One solution could be to disable this policy (which is risky. It exists for a reason)

2- The best solution: Install the service under a normal account (recommended in the installer for those who care to read)

3- Install under System and use impersonation in the task. This could fail (and does so often) because impersonation doesn't loads the whole user profile, so this is kind of a limited option.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
MartinR

Post by MartinR »

Re 1: how and why? It would seem to sort out all the problems with a winbox sitting on a private network. The alternative is backup->USB disk followed by scp to the host.