Installation question

Questions about Cobian Backup
BobSt

Installation question

Post by BobSt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 am

Praise in a recent PC World review got me interested in trying Cobian Backup. However, one point that appears in both the review and the Cobian FAQ, and which seems to involve a decision to be made when the program is first installed, leaves me in the dark.

The review says that "both an Interface and an Application are involved. If you didn't install the program as a service, you must run the application, then launch the interface, or get an 'engine not found' error." And although the FAQ in this regard doesn't refer to how one might install the program, it does refer to such an error and says "When the user interface is started, it checks to see if the engine (the service) is started. When the computer is started it can take some time until the service get started, so you can ignore this error."

Now, I have a vague notion that a "service" is basically a software program that is loaded when another program is loaded. Or something like that. And I'm vaguely familiar with the fact that an occasional program, in order to run properly, requires a "service" also to to be running. But my experience in such cases has been that merely installing a program as instructed generally takes care of both whatever service is required and the program itself. Anything beyond that is above my pay grade.

In short, I've never had to concern myself with whether I was installing something as a "program" or as a "service," but the language in the review ("If you didn't install the program as a service...") implies that such a choice has to be made when Cobian Backup is first installed.

Can someone please explain what that's about? What do I have to understand about using/installing a "service" in order to use the program properly?

Thanks.

cobian
Site Admin

Re: Installation question

Post by cobian » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm

In short: if you want the backup to run even if no user is logged on the computer: install as a service. If you are starting your backups manually or you are sure that you will be logged n the machine when it's time to backup, run it as an application.

A service is just a program that is running all the time in the background (even when no user is logged on). That's the main difference.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator and Developer
https://www.cobiansoft.com

BobSt

Post by BobSt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for the fast response.

Another, related question occurs to me.

I don't leave my computer actively running when I'm away from it. Will the backup run if the computer is in hibernate or sleep? If not, then it seems to me that my solution has to be to always run backups manually.

Thanks again.

cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:27 pm

No, but you could (if your computer supports it) wake up your computer before the backup starts. Windows schedule allows it.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator and Developer
https://www.cobiansoft.com

BobSt

Post by BobSt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Didn't know that.

Thanks.