Communication protocol between Cobian client and the server

Questions about Cobian Backup
pusariz

Communication protocol between Cobian client and the server

Post by pusariz » Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm

We have Cobian Backup 11 Gravity installed in several PCs with Windows 10, and they perform the backups in a NAS server accessible via LAN. There is a growing concern in our organization about the protection of all data exchanges, so I've used a sniffer/packet analyzer (Wireshark) to check what communication protocol is used between the Cobian client and the server when doing the backups (to see if it's a secured communication). I've seen that it uses SMB2 over NBSS over TCP/IP (the Windows filesharing protocol), on the TCP port 445. That is, the information is exchanged in clear, not protected.

I would like to know if there is a way to configure Cobian to use other options regarding the transmission protocol (for example using SSH to protect the traffic). I've been looking for this option in the different menus and I haven't found it, but maybe there's something that I haven't found. I would thank some clarification on this issue.

Thanks in advance

cobian
Site Admin

Re: Communication protocol between Cobian client and the server

Post by cobian » Thu May 09, 2019 11:31 pm

No, it uses the standard Windows protocol to copy files from a computer to another.

Your could (if your NAS supports it) use FTPS (not SFTP) to transfer the files in an encrypted way.

Regards
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator and Developer
https://www.cobiansoft.com